Mr. Tom Howard, a member of a distinguished Methodist family in South Carolina, was the leader in the founding of Howard Chapel UMC in 1917. The land for the church was donated by Dr. J. H. Barton. The first pastor was the Rev. A. L. Smith. Charter members included Mr. Tom Howard and his wife Rosa, Mr. Hasten Gordon, two Walker brothers and their sister, Mrs. Pinston, Mr. and Mrs. Robertson and their two daughters, Annie Mae and Minnie Mae, Mrs. Laura Bohanna and her two daughters and two sons. A frame church was built on a South Washington Street site, near the corner of William Street. The church was dedicated in 1925. Tom Howard and H. C. Gordon were the trustees and Rev. H. W. Kimball was pastor. The organization of the church consisted of a Sunday School with three classes, an Epworth League for youth, which met ever Sunday at 6:00 pm, and the Ladies Aid Society, which met every Tuesday night after Prayer Meeting. The Ladies Aid Society bought the first organ and Mrs. H. W. Kimball, the pastor's wife, was the first organist.
Under the pastorate of Rev. Amos Holmes in 1954, Howard Chapel experienced a time of tremendous growth. Membership grew from 45 to 116, Sunday school classes increased from 3 to 8 and active organizations included the Woman's Society of Christian Service, UMYF and Boy Scouts. The Day Care Center was also started in 1954. The parsonage was sold under the pastorate of Rev. Lenton H. Powell and the present parsonage was bought in 1966. Ground was broken for the education building in 1967, and the building was completed in October, 1969. Howard Chapel was a part of the Georgia Conference, Central District from 1939-1971, when it was moved to the North Georgia Conference and, finally, into the South Georgia Conference in 1972. June, 1975, saw the Howard's Chapel Charge be voted Charge of the Year for the Dublin District. This church was made a station church with a full-time pastor in November, 1976. In December 1976, under the pastorate of Rev. Amos H. Holmes, a sanctuary was built annexed to the education building. In 1980, Rev. Amos Holmes was recognized as being a full member of the annual conferences for 45 years.